Home & Contact
Pending Adoptions
Adopted Horses
Waiting List
Surrender Form
Diet & Health
Horse Slaughter
Rainbow Bridge
Gypsy & King
Kris Kringle
Why no non-profit status

Thu, 15 Jun 2006:

Hi Gabi.  Thanks for your sweet message....I hated to share this news with you, but wanted you to know too.  I have read that there is a small percentage of horses who do not respond to the dietary treatment of EPSM & I am convinced that Jacob is one of these horses.  Considering I've read that 50-80% of all drafts & draft crosses are affected with EPSM, there's an extremely strong likelihood that both of us have more than one EPSM horse right now, but the rest of them just respond to the dietary treatment/prevention.   I'm sorry to hear about your guy up in Canada.  I will say some prayers for him & hope that he makes it through this & gets to your place....once he's there we know he'll be very well taken care of!   Thank you for your offer to help.  The vet will be here at 8:00 tomorrow morning...just say a little prayer for him, but I know this is best for him.  We'll all see him again someday & I can't even imagine how beautiful & healthy & happy he will be when we see him again. 

Tue, 20 Jun 2006:

Hey Gabi.  I'm doing okay.  It really helped to KNOW in my heart that it was definitely time for Jacob to go & we just helped him go before he got any worse.  Al had told me that he thought it best that I not be there when Jake was actually put down & buried, and I couldn't argue it.  I thought I would do okay when we put our kitty down, but I wasn't as strong as I'd like to have thought I would be.  As it turned out, based on me just me standing up by the road to direct the vet & the guy who buried him, I think we made the right decision....I was not doing well at all.  Butttt, Al & the vet said everything went extremely well.  The vet gave him a small shot of sedative, to take the edge off...she said less than she would have given him to float his teeth...and his back legs went out on him & so he just laid down on the ground & rested.  (Our vet commented that he shouldn't have done that & reassured us that we made the right decision, and that we could rest well knowing we tried every possible option before going this route....that made both of us feel better).  Al said Jake was laying quietly, with his head in Al's lap, when she gave him the injections to put him down....no kicking, twitching, etc....any of the usual reflex actions that they usually go through...he just drifted off peacefully to sleep.  He was ready to go.  I must say though, that the other horses were protecting him...Dakota the night before & Mirco that morning...so I'm wondering if he would have had much time left if we had not done this.  It was quite sad when Al went to get Jake & bring him into the paddock area where he's buried, Mirco kept cutting in front of them & stopping...like he was trying to stop them from going.  :o( Anyway, he's at peace now.  I look forward to thunderstorms now to remind me that he's up there waiting for us, running & playing & feeling wonderful like he should be.  We miss him terribly, but we know this is what was best for him, so we'll just wait to see him again someday.  I'm glad you didn't get to see him at his worst & I keep trying to picture what he'll look like the next time we see him....he'll be so big & beautiful & healthy & happy.  :o)  We're going to plant some trees where he's buried so when they get big the other horses can hang out & rest there with him.     Thanks for your e-mail...we appreciate your thoughts! Kim